Up early while it's still Friday in Oklahoma (and other places). Laundry in the machine and breakfast eaten slowly and with pleasure. So time to play! With the Friday Five from Will Smama that I suspect more than any other will reveal cultural differences in 'what we call things'. What fun! I hope the context will make it clear what I'm talking about. She writes of the joys of a new-build (now there's an expression for you - I would say 'because we are building') home:
Greetings all!
As some of you may know I am in the midst of my first home purchase. It is a new-build and so some of the fun was picking out upgrades and major decor items to my taste rather than walking into a previously owned home that needed to be upgraded room by room (pink and teal tiles in the bathroom, anyone?). As much as decorating is not my thing, I did try to embrace the moment because just how many times do you get to have a do-over on kitchen cabinets/floors/countertops?
And so, my questions to you this fine Friday involve your home past, present or future...
1) If you could, what room in the place you are currently living would you redo first?
Bathrooms, bathrooms, bathrooms! We live in a church house which was generously and tastefully overhauled inside prior to our arrival. Except the bathrooms. Where they fitted new tap sets into old chipboard vanities that are falling apart inside. We are replacing the furniture, but it would be wonderful to refit the whole room, especially downstairs which could be made fully accessible and allow guests of all levels of mobility to stay.
2) What is the most hideous feature/color/decor item you have ever seen in a home?
Friends lived with a bright purple and orange and green wall patterned with huge flowers and leaves between their kitchen and eating area. Again - a church house and because no structural or other defect they had to live with this 'feature' chosen by a previous minister. A reason that I support the bland neutral decor in our current home.
3) What feature do you most covet? Do you have it? If not, is it within reach?
This is an interesting question. Not a feature so much as a personality change. To deliver a tidy house. I don't have it and it doesn't seem within reach. Yet all I need to do is put each thing away properly when I've used it.
4) Your kitchen - love it or hate it? Why?
Hmmmmmm. Blessed with some great appliances, modern stovetop, lots of bench space, large window with good light. Design a bit odd - inaccessible cupboards, fridge opening to wrong side (against wall so cannot fully open), small oven, tiny freezer. I don't hate it. I do quite like it and do some great things in it. But love? No I don't think so.
5) Here is $10,000 and you HAVE to spend it on the place you are living now. What do you do?
Despite the state of the bathrooms, I would invest in original Aboriginal art bought direct from the artist. And an outdoor awning to extend the barbecue capacity.
BONUS: Why do you think there was such a surplus of ugly bathroom tile colors showcased in all homes built from the 1950's right through the early 80's?
Not just tiles. I highlighted in orange in memory of a bathroom bench in our second home. It was a shock stumbling in in the mornings and being confronted by a bright orange mass. Same house had purple wallpaper in one toilet, and bright yellow in the other. But why? I have no idea. I guess if people bought them the manufacturers made them.
5 comments:
a tidies house yes please. self cleaning tops would be great!!!
excellent play.
Ok, I give up. What's a bathroom bench?
Never mind. I googled it.
Tidy house...? Never thought of that. Yes, please.
Oh that's so funny. Bathroom bench wasn't even one of the things I thought might be confusing. So y'all know vanities, stoves, fridges and stuff! But not benches, I love it.
thanks for your kind comment on my blog! I agree, the most desirable feature in any house is the self-cleaning function.
I know nothing about the Uniting Church in Aus except that I am a (raving insane) fan of Cheryl Lawson's blog, and she's clergy in that denomination who does prison ministry She's a great writer and thinker, and undoubtedly a wonderful pastor as well.
Post a Comment