Great to wake up on a sunny Saturday and find this Friday Five from Songbird waiting. That it's all about dates reminded me of the scene I so enjoy in Miss Congeniality where the contestant is asked about her ideal date - and she replies along the lines of "April 24th. Not too hot and not too cold, you only need a light sweater".
It's Friday afternoon, Eastern Time, and this is your faithful Songbird with a calendar-related Friday Five. Due to some confusion with our dates, I'm stepping in today, although I am usually here only on the 5th Friday, when there is such a thing.
Here are five things to ponder about dates. I hope you'll play!
1) Datebooks--how do you keep track of your appointments? Electronically? On paper? Month at a glance? Week at a glance?
Unfortunately often in my head! Which is not that effective. But I do keep an electronic diary and prefer month-at-a-glance view. I love the little reminders popping up on screen. The challenge is to remember to enter events into it (see #2).
2) When was the last time you forgot an important date?
Wednesday this past week! The previous Saturday was the girls' last netball game for the season and the 'Mums' (for there were no Dad's watching) set about organising a little treat for them. Pizza at Mario's Wednesday @ six. I was to collect my lass and two others (sisters) from school after band practice and deliver them to the pizza restaurant on my way to Church Council. The other Mum would do the home trip. But when my child was sick on Wednesday and stayed home from school, and a 10.30 meeting in town didn't finish until after 3, and I had a chance to visit a wool shop on the way home, I traveled home in a relaxed fashion and completely forgot the dinner. Got a call at 10.30p.m. (still at Church Council) when daughter discovered our lapse. Trouble was I used routine rather than diary on this one - but when no pick-up from band it all fell apart.
3) When was the last time you went OUT on a date?
Our trip to the top end was like a wonderful extended date, with walks, dinners out and so much opportunity just to be together plus a large comfortable bed to come back to, and that was only last month. PLUS a family date, Sunday breakfast, to celebrate a birthday this month. And though it is a while ago now the balloon trip was the most amazing date.
4) Name one accessory or item of clothing you love even though it is dated.
I was just looking in my wardrobe this morning at things I can't throw out - and I was ruthless before we left NZ. The pick is a brown and orange (large orange flowers and some mauve ones) strappy dress from the 70's that I long to fit into again!
5) Dates--the fruit--can't live with 'em? Or can't live without 'em?
Definitely not without! My grandmother, and then my mother, generally took date and ginger sandwiches on family picnics. And nothing better than a fresh date scone. I have never lost my affection for this fruit.
7 comments:
I can lose track of my life that way, too!
Those sandwhiches sound really wonderful. Very High Tea sort of things, somehow. Great play.
Smiling at your number three answers, but astounded at liking the idea of a ginger and date sandwiche! Yow! ;-)
Thanks for your comments. I didn't realise 'til I read other plays how distasteful dates are for so many people. Glad Grandee's sandwiches have at least had a comment each way so far :-)
I don't think I ever had a fresh date. The ones we're all talking about are the dried ones. Do you have fresh ones down there?
Think I'll start calling the women in my unit at work, 'lasses!'
Great play!
Not sure how they process them but we can certainly get nice plump soft ones - expensive though! For baking I use the dried variety. The world needs more 'lasses'
I am envisioning that dress. I know the feeling, too. Lovely sandwiches, or so they sound.
Post a Comment