
Great Friday Five from Presbyterian Gal sweltering in the summer heat provokes a bit of nostalgia.
1. What is your sweetest summer memory from childhood? Did it involve watermelon or hand cranked ice cream? Or perhaps a teen summer romance. Which stands out for you?
Strawberries and pavlova. Kind of like a huge meringue covered in whipped cream. A New Zealand icon - although Australians like to claim it as their own :-)
2. Describe your all time favorite piece of summer clothing. The one thing you could put on in the summer that would seem to insure a cooler, more excellent day.
A gorgeous little white linen jacket with coconut shell buttons. Looks good with everything. And has pockets. I'm wearing it in this (Presbyterian) photo.
3. What summer food fills your mouth with delight and whose flavor stays happily with you long after eaten?
Now that would have to be watermelon. The stains on the chin stay around for a while as well.
4. Tell us about the summer vacation or holiday that holds your dearest memory.
The year that we spent 5 weeks at Whangamata. Kind of a busman's holiday as my beloved took the worship services at the churches there and they provided accommodation. He departed for two weeks in Tokelau and left daughters and me to fill his shoes for the final week. That summer I completed a tapestry, enjoyed sun and sea, read avidly, watched 5 DVDs starring George Clooney one after the other. It was idyllic. This will sound liturgically strange to those in the opposite hemisphere but it was the summer I discovered Epiphany and the baptism of Jesus. I still think the sermon was good for any preacher including this lay one. And some good interactive creative participation with sea shells and stars.
5. Have you had any experience(s) this summer that has drawn you closer to God or perhaps shown you His wonder in a new way?
Staying with my wonderful friends and their toddler daughter this past summer reminded me again of the wonder with which little ones explore and investigate our world. And walking along the waterfront refreshed my spirit.
Bonus question: When it is really hot, humid and uncomfortable, what do you do to refresh and renew body and spirit?
Splash witchazel about abundantly.
7 comments:
Never heard of Pavlova before, but, man, that looks amazing!
Thanks for playing.
I love pavlova, we went out to dinner with friends last night and Wendy served up a wonderful one with cream rasperries, strawberries and chocolate swirls mmmmm......
So much for my diet!!!!
Great play :-)
I thought pavlova was a universal pleasure until I read PG's comment !
And maybe our pictures of summer aren't universal either - it's been 18C all day here, with more rain than sunshine. Too cool (temp, not personality) for watermelon !
Sounds as it the Brits have a claim on Pavlova as well. Your temps sound much like ours Barb - and my toes are certainly cold. Thanks so much for this F5 PG. It was fun.
Wow - those holidays do sound amazing, though I have never heard of a few of those places. I just might have to do some research because as far as I'm concerned, "bring on George!!!" :D
I agree with that! Thanks for your visit.
I've heard of the Pavlova named after the singer Anna Pavlova. I have a very good friend born in Perth!
I knew there would be someone who would appreciate the historical bathing suit!
Post a Comment